top of page

January 28, 2010 - Tough recovery but surgery went well

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you an update on how Greg's doing today. Yesterday, he had surgery to replace his ICD/pacemaker and to add a new lead- this time going into his atrium (he already has one going into the ventricle). The doctors wanted to increase Greg's heart rate so that he gets more blood and oxygen pumped through his body, but while his existing ICD could increase his heart rate, it wouldn't give his heart a strong pumping and filling action.

The hope is that the new dual-chambered ICD will increase his cardiac output and keep him out of the hospital longer (and off of more severe treatments) while he waits for his new heart. The surgery went very well. God totally answered our prayers in that at the last minute the surgeon was switched from a doctor that we've had very bad experiences with in the past to one that we like a lot and who performed Greg's atrial ablation last spring.

Last night was tough for Greg. He was in a lot of pain and the nurses had to wake him up frequently to check his vitals, give him IV antibiotics, and administer his pain medication.

One blessing was that the night-time nurse let me shower in Greg's bathroom! It was such a blessing to be able to get a hot shower without having to leave the hospital and deal with traffic.

Right now Greg is getting an x-ray to make sure his new ICD looks good. The doctors will be in later today to test it.

Because of the fluids that Greg was given during and after surgery yesterday, he is retaining more fluid than he has over the past few days. The goal is to get him "bone-dry" before he leaves the hospital, so it’s hard to say at this point when he'll be going home.

He just got back to the room so I'm going to end this email! Thank you so much for praying for us, for the encouraging cards, emails, and blogposts, and everything else you're doing to support us.

We love and appreciate you!


0 views0 comments

Related Posts

See All


bottom of page